This post contains affiliate links, because I like money, but I s2g I wrote this post before adding the affiliate links and the monetization does not affect my opinions.
Happy Sunday, pals.
I’m currently sprawled out across the couch at my partner’s apartment (well, the upper third of my body is on the couch, the middle third is on an ottoman, and the bottom third is just floating in space), still listening to Louis Tomlinson’s “Back to You” (which is a SMASH FUCKIN HIT AND MY #1 FAVORITE SOLO 1D THING THAT’S COME OUT SO FAR, LONG LIVE KING LOUIS) on repeat.
(Aside: I’m using Augustus’ Audio-Technica ATH-M50 over-ear headphones (here’s the newer model) and IT’S GLORIOUS having the Tommo piped right into my ears.)
Here’s what I’ve been up to in the past couple weeks since my last life update.
- had this delicious burger which had grilled onions cooked in angostura bitters(!) at Maven
The little gem salad was topped with toasted quinoa, which was deliciously crunchy. We came for happy hour, so I had a free Kölsch with my burger.
- acquired two single tickets to Niall Horan’s Flicker Sessions! I snagged a balcony seat and Augustus somehow managed to get a floor ticket for me, which means I could be close enough to see Niall’s spit flying out of his mouth!!! But I’m debating selling the floor ticket because the last time I attended a 1D concert was their Up All Night Tour in 2012, where I managed to get 5th row tickets at the door. The concert was a lot of fun, but it was terrifying being surrounded and crushed by so many screaming fans while waiting in line. I’m not sure I can go through that again, especially since I’ll be alone this time.
- remembered that Zach is my favorite speller of all time:
he paints him self as fruigle
- have been wearing BB Cream again (a mix of Missha M Signature Real Complete BB Cream in 21 and 23 (Light Pink Beige and Natural Yellow Beige)) because my skin’s been on the fritz. I think my bout of good skin a couple months ago was a direct result of resetting my sleep schedule to what I call “bed by 11, up by 7” for a few weeks, but soon after making that post I went back to Anxiety-Induced Insomnia™, so… here I am, wearing makeup again.
These pictures were taken after sunscreen and makeup. 🙁 Acne and hyperpigmentation galore.
- have been smearing Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream all over my acne scars to promote healing 🐌
- started tracking my menstrual cycle in Flo (iOS/Android) and Clue, in addition to Glow, which I’ve been using for a couple years now. I was able to import my Glow data into Clue, but I couldn’t do the same for Flo. So far I’m not sold on any one of them, but I do think both Flo and Clue have much better (and faster!) UIs than Glow does.
- set up Another Toast to use https!
- watched Spider-Man: Homecoming with my 4eva Cinema Tag Team partner, Spenser (aka Vensoo), and ohHhHhH MY GOD I LOVE TOM HOLLAND SO MUCH. Like, look, I loved Andrew Garfield’s Peter Parker, but Tom Holland really, really captures that feeling of Peter Parker being a big-hearted, endearingly earnest kid who’s still got a lot to learn but the strongest moral compass imaginable to guide him. SO, SO CHARMING, and the cast is surprisingly diverse. I recommend catching this at a matinee if you can.
LOOK! AT! HIM! LIL PETER PARKER! ACTUALLY BEING A KID!!!
(image via Polygon)
- have been trying to do a pull-up. So far I can move myself about an inch upward before my arms give out. Baby steps.
- tried barracuda for the first time, at O-Toro Sushi. Verdict: 🆗👍🏻💰
- watched Hamilton at the Orpheum (finally!) and it was honestly AMAZING to see Alexander Hamilton as a Black man, to have a Black man as the main character in a story about the founding of this majority-white nation. It felt right, and it made me feel patriotic in a way that I haven’t since… last November, at least. “Helpless” and “Satisfied” were incredible, though I’m biased since they were already my favorite songs going into the show. I cried at “Dear Theodosia” and “It’s Quiet Uptown,” and “Wait For It” was so, so good. King George was a riot, but the best part of the entire show was probably when they sang “immigrants / we get the job done” and I swear something like 75% of the theater started cheering. #MURICA 🇺🇸
It may have taken me several hours of waiting in a virtual queue to obtain my tickets, but Hamilton was, of course, absolutely worth it. Obviously. (And it reminded me that despite the current state of US politics, in the words of Angelica Schuyler, “look around, look around at how / lucky we are to be alive right now.”)
- watched Dunkirk in 70mm (but not IMAX, because I have absolutely no interest in getting a Real War Experience) despite being a person who HATES war movies, and honestly??? It was really good and absolutely worth watching in theaters. I would be saying this even if Harry Styles weren’t in it, because 1) I love Chris Nolan movies in general, 2) Fionn Whitehead will squeeze your heart into a fine pulp because you can practically smell his fear through the screen, and 3) TOM. FUCKING. HARDY!!! I mean, look, I love Harry Styles, and his acting was a solid Good and I have no complaints about it and I genuinely think he has a lot of untapped acting talent, but TO BE QUITE FUCKING HONEST!!! Anger and fear are two of the easiest emotions to act out, especially if you don’t have to imagine the physical horror of, say, treading water while wearing a wool coat over your army uniform and carrying a backpack. Ya did great, Harold, you really did, but Fionn was outstanding and TOM HARDY WAS TOM HARDY, which is to say, his acting was phenomenal. The fact that he can convey calm and collected professionalism and competence and internalized fear and resigned determination and be so UNDERSTATED about it WHILE HALF HIS FACE IS COVERED WITH A MASK!!! WHAT A CRAFTSMAN!!! Anyway, please do yourself and your morality a favor and watch this movie so you can appreciate a fraction of how fucking terrifying war is. I know for sure that Dunkirk is joining Terrence Malick’s The Thin Red Line and Stanley Kubrick’s Full Metal Jacket on my very short list of acceptable war movies, because none of them glorify or glamorize war, and I literally spent the entire 2 hours trembling in my seat out of stress and fear. (It’s also got great cinematography and sound editing if you care about that kind of thing.)
- discovered that the cat really likes sitting on my Monki mom jeans
She fell asleep so I couldn’t move for like half an hour.
LOOK AT THIS FACE! THE LITTLE CURLED PAW! I’m a prisoner meow.
- read Grace and the Fever by Zan Romanoff in like… 2 sittings. Naturally I had to purchase it after hearing Cara and Caitlin interview Zan on Talk Direction and hearing how smart and on point she is about fandom and fangirls, but also LOOK JUST READ THE EXCERPT ON AMAZON AND TELL ME YOU’RE NOT HELLA HOOKED. The book opens with Grace accidentally being papped with a member of Fever Dream, the boy band she started stanning in middle school… and never stopped stanning even when all her friends moved on. It’s about hiding your fandom life and shipping band members and conspiracy theories and breaking the fourth wall and growing up, and it’s DELICIOUS! Buy it. Just do it.
- wore this probably work-inappropriate outfit to the office because idgaf
Bomber jacket: eBay. One Direction/Joy Division t-shirt: dinosaurcostume on RedBubble. Black druzy heart choker: ASOS. Lipstick: ColourPop Lippie Stix in Nevermind. Royal blue hoodie: American Apparel. Socks: Target. Monk strap oxfords: Sam Edelman.
- had a bonding moment with all of my Chinese-American coworkers when one of the interns brought in 菠蘿包 (pineapple buns) and we all flocked to the kitchen in silent unison to eat the food of our people
- watched all 5 episodes of The Gay and Wondrous Life of Caleb Gallo on YouTube and LOVED IT. All the characters are horrible but amazing people a la Archer, everyone is in love with everyone, Freckle is MAGNIFICENT, and my second favorite line in the series is “His name is Len, which is short for Lenjamin.” My favorite line is, of course, Freckle’s aforementioned dramatic aphorism at the end of the opening scene in Episode 4:
- was awed at the thought of my friend Aaron who is currently doing his OBGYN rotation and DELIVERING BABIES!!!
- have been running a mile once a week, at 4.8mph, for a 12:30 mile. I almost puked the first time, but the second and third times were much more manageable. I’m hoping to get comfortable at this pace before increasing the speed or distance. Baby steps, etc.
- have been low-key obsessed with Dua Lipa’s entire album, but especially “Lost In Your Light,” “Be the One,” and “Thinking ‘Bout You.” I just LOVE her voice and goddamn… to quote James Potter in The Shoebox Project… her legs make me useless.
- started using CopyMeThat to organize my recipes and am loving the simplicity so far (I used to use Evernote, but it was SO slow)
- had my first caipirinha (Brazil’s national cocktail) and it was goddang delicious
- was pleased to hear that my cousin enjoyed her week-long baking class at Sur La Table (that I purchased in April). She made a ton of different baked goods and desserts, including hand pies, tarts, English muffins, biscuits, and multiple cakes, but the most impressive by far were the macarons. The best part is that she’s now trying the recipes at home, so we’ve had a steady supply of cinnamon rolls and macarons (which turned out great!) over the past couple weeks.
Here’s the peach ice cream she made, plus a berry tart and a ham and cheese hand pie.
- signed up for the Delta/Lyft program so I can get miles when I take a ride… not that I’ve ever flown Delta, but who knows
- remembered that I’d signed up for Mogl when I received a surprise “You’ve Got Money!” email after getting Thai takeout. 20% cash back for eating dinner? I’ll take it. (Mogl isn’t available outside of the West Coast yet, but you can check here for where they currently operate.)
- have been listening to “Boys” by Charli XCX on repeat because, like, have I ever related to a set of lyrics more?!
I wish I had a better excuse
But I can’t even lie you got me
I was busy thinkin’ ’bout boys, boys, boys
- got sunburned, cursed myself for misplacing my travel-sized Yadah Oh My Sun Block, promptly ordered this SPF70 Neutrogena sunscreen stick, which, it turns out, is REALLY good. It made me slightly shiny after a few hours, and I’m not sure how well it wears under makeup, but in terms of efficacy and ease of application, it’s been fantastic so far
- have been on another kick of half-baked money-making schemes a la /r/beermoney, which is why I signed up for (and am now posting referral links for) Achievemint (install the app and get paid based on your daily step count) and InboxDollars (get paid to take marketing research surveys). (The going is slow for both programs, as is to be expected, but I’ve cashed out from InboxDollars at least once before, when I was in college… I’m currently at 1,011/10,000 points for the $10 payout threshold for Achievemint and $14.05/$30 for InboxDollars.)
- laughed when I asked Lewis what he thought of Harry Styles in Dunkirk and he replied “He’s much more attractive than I thought from his Google image results”
- copied the Baked Salmon Greek Goddess Salad from Soma Eats at home, resulting in one of the best salads I’ve ever assembled (mixed greens + salmon (we used canned because we are lazy) + thinly sliced cucumbers + grape tomatoes quartered into wedges + avocado + balsamic vinaigrette… could’ve used some shredded carrots, too)
- finally got to the “Boyz 4 Now” episode (S3, E21) in Bob’s Burgers and sort of cried because I love Tina and Louise and fangirls so, so much
- had delicious fish tacos at Hook Fish Co. in the Outer Sunset:
These were incredibly messy to eat, but so worth it.
- had my Airbnb host cancel on me with no explanation (for our accommodations for Victoria’s wedding). This is my second shitty experience trying to book with Airbnb, so as much as I’ve enjoyed tagging along when friends have booked our stays in the past, I don’t think I’m ever going to book through Airbnb again, not when hotels and actual bed-and-breakfasts have always been comparable in price, at least at the destinations Augustus and I have chosen.
- dined at Doppio Zero with Augustus and his parents, had the BEST squid ink pasta of my LIFE
- received this ring from Etsy seller SundayIslandSweden as a gift from Augustus, am in love:
It’s 18k yellow gold with five tiny little diamonds. He also got me a copy of Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Blood, because he knew how much I loved the Wonder Woman movie and he saw me reading Ms. Marvel a couple months ago.
- tried to figure out if the recent reorg and shifting product direction at work are canaries in the coal mine/Hail Mary’s or not
- committed to joining a D&D campaign with a few of my coworkers… This is only my second time playing and I’m most likely going to be a Forest Gnome Druid, with an Urchin background. (I didn’t want to be a Gnome at first because given all the possibilities of a fantasy game, why would I choose to be even smaller than I am in real life? But then I realized that our party needed someone sneaky and fast, so I chose the smallest character I could. I’m 2 feet tall.)
Well, this post took me so long to put together that it’s now Sunday evening, I’m on my 4th load of laundry, and that pre-work anxiety is setting in. I’ve still got to fold and put away 3-soon-to-be-4 loads of laundry, do some breakfast meal prep for the coming week, finish my D&D character, and take a shower. After that, I’m going to try not to focus on the news too much and instead keep my eyes on the prize (aka that direct deposit).
Have a good week, y’all.